Through The Portal
Turning of Cadsey
Cadsey started life as an island settlement back in prehistory. Its location less than a half mile off of Cynemaer’s Point placed it at a natural obstacle and thus stopping point along the western coast of the continent of Ideleard. Here many ships have stopped and traded while replenishing supplies (and paying tariffs, of course). In 1554, Prince Aldhund began to fortify the town, securing it against a possible invasion by his father’s enemies. One of the additions made during these fortifications was the expansion of the temple to Pharasma, the goddess of prophecy (among other things).
This expansion turned out to be pivotal in the upcoming Celestial War, although whether this was due to fate or just blind chance, no one down here can really say. What is known is that over the course of the generation following the expansion of the temple, Cadsey became the focal point of the worship of Pharasma. Some claimed that the relative isolation gave the priests the ability to concentrate on prophecy without outside interruption. Others claimed that the trading taxes and tariffs on water brought glory and splendor (and more worshipers). Whatever the reason, the temple was soon consecrated as the primary worship center of Pharasma. The Library of Foretelling was relocated there as was the Council of Seven. With them came dozens of followers and supporters as well as scores of soldiers to protect the island and its inhabitants.
When the Celestial War broke out, the majority of Pharasma’s followers retreated to the island. A few remained behind, scattered throughout the world (although mainly on Ideleard).